Sunday, March 1, 2015

The promise of reward and persecution

Scripture
Mark 10: 29-31
Jesus answered, “Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left a house or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields, for My sake and for the gospel’s sake, who shall not receive a hundred times as much now in this age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and fields, with persecution, and in the age to come, eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last first.” 
Observation
1. Left family, church, home, and possessions.
God ask us to sacrifice, to give up, to move down, to leave, relinquish, to die to self.
2. for my sake and for the sake of the gospel
To sacrifice for anyother reason is insanity and pride.  I let go for my love of Jesus, His glory, and His kingdom.
3 promise: shall receive a hundred times as much now and in heaven.
The promise is for heaven but also for now.  When I die to self and leave, God will reward me with houses, family, friends, etc.
4. Jesus also promises persecution
Persecution is normal in this part of the world.  It is not the exception but is to be expected.
5. Many who are recognized and praised today will be least in heaven.  Those who are last, least now will be rewarded, be first, in heaven.
Application
1. Live a lif of self denial and sacrifice.
2. Expect persecution and suffer well.
3. Believe the promise of Jesus for reward.
Prayer
May I be I loving to leave, be last, suffer, and deny myself but also build my faith that my sacrifice will be rewarded now and in heaven.  May I live the abundant life you have provided for me.

No comments: