Tuesday, March 24, 2015

I can trust God's heart even when I do not understand my circumstances

Scripture
Deuteronomy 2:30
"But King Sihon of Heshbon refused to allow us to pass through, because the LORD your God made Sihon stubborn and defiant so he could help you defeat him, as he has now done."
Observation
This verse is a great illustration of the sovereignity and providence of God.
God is the creator of the universe and he guides, protects, and provides for us.  Here we see that God moved on the heart of a king.  God is in complete control, nothing happens outside of his sovereign will.  At times this is hard to understand because of the existence of evil.  If God is in control then why does evil exists?   The answer is found in the fall of man, free will, and sin but that is not what I want to focus on.
I find comfort in God's sovereignity and providence, even in the events of my life I cannot explain.  It helps me to know that nothing can happen to me that God does not allow.  I may not understand my circumstances but I can know God's heart.  I can take comfort in him, rest in him, run to him. He is my refuge, my strongtower, my place of safety.
Application
1. Trust God's heart even when I do not understand my circumstances.
2. Never doubt the goodness of God.
Psalm 119:68 says "You are good and do good; teach me Your statutes."
3. God's silence does not indicate His absence.
Just because I do not see evidence of the activity of God does not mean he is not working in the background.  Evidence of this is found in the accounts of Joseph and Esther.
Prayer
I place my trust in you.  I know you are at work in my life and in the world events that surround me.  I am safe in your arms.  I can move forward in faith.  You are in control. You are taking good care of me and mine.

No comments: