Thursday, March 26, 2015

The pursuit of wisdom


Scripture
Luke 7:35
But wisdom is shown to be right by the lives of those who follow it. NLT
Wisdom (God’s way, v. 29) is justified (shown to be right) by all her children (the followers of John and Jesus).  ESV study Bible
Observation
Wisdom is the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight.
1. There is evidence to prove the existence of wisdom.  For example when you are in a meeting discussing an issue, all of sudden someoe speaks a word of wisdom into the situation, and everyone else says, "that's it, that is the answer."  Wisdom is proven, justified.
2. Also I know someone is wise by the way they live not just what they say.  Wisdom is proven by the evidence of the life they are living.
Application
The Proverbe teaches me to pursue wisdom.  I pursue wisdom by:
1. Reading
Not just for pleasure but for learning.
2. Spending time with wise people
Respect those who are older than me, have a teachable spirit.
3. Listening to podcast
Again not just for pleasure but for learning
4. Wisdom is a spirit.
The book of Ephesians speaks of the spirit of wisdom and revelation.
5. Wisdom is a gift of the Spirit.  1 Corinthians 12
6. The Book of James teaches that when I lack wisdom, I am to ask God for it and He will give it liberally.
Prayer
I ask that you make me a man of wisdom.  Give it to me as a gift and produce it in my life.  May I have the wisdom of God and not just the wisdom of man.  May I be a lifelong learner.  May I apply the knowledge you have given me to problems and situations I face.  Make me a man of wisdom.

No comments: