Friday, March 27, 2015

Why did God choose you?

Scripture
Deuteronomy 7: 7-8
“The LORD did not set his heart on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other nations, for you were the smallest of all nations! 8 Rather, it was simply that the LORD loves you, and he was keeping the oath he had sworn to your ancestors. That is why the LORD rescued you with such a strong hand from your slavery and from the oppressive hand of Pharaoh, king of Egypt.
Observation
This verse is good to help me to remember to humble myself.  It also reminds me that grace is to receive blessings I do not deserve.  I am just like the Israelites, God did not choose me because of my goodness, talents, or value.  I was a nobody and there was nothing good in me.  He chose me because:
1. He loved me.
God loved the nobody, the sinner.  He chose to love me because He is love.
2. His character.
God choose me because He is good and benevolent.  He is full of grace and mercy.  He chose me based upon His character not mine.
Application
My response should be:
1. worship
I should worship Him because He chose me.  He is worthy of all glory, honor, and praise.
2. Humility 
Pride has no place in me because I did nothing to earn or deserve my salvation.  I lower myself, humble myself before an awesome God.
3. Service
I should always be motivated to serve my God and His kingdom.  I owe him at least that much.  My service should flow out of a heart filled with gratitude.
4. Proclamation
I must tell everyone of his goodness to me because it is available to them.  Witness is not an obligation but an opportunity.
Prayer
My heart is filled with gratefulness.  You have been so good to me.  You have earned my worship and loyalty. I love you.  Thank you for choosing me.

No comments: