Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Effective Leadership

Scripture
Numbers 27:15-20
15 Then Moses said to the LORD , 16 “O LORD , you are the God who gives breath to all creatures. Please appoint a new man as leader for the community. 17 Give them someone who will guide them wherever they go and will lead them into battle, so the community of the LORD will not be like sheep without a shepherd.” 18 The LORD replied, “Take Joshua son of Nun, who has the Spirit in him, and lay your hands on him. 19 Present him to Eleazar the priest before the whole community, and publicly commission him to lead the people. 20 Transfer some of your authority to him so the whole community of Israel will obey him.
Observation
1. Good leaders put the needs and well- being of the people above the needs and desires of the leader.
Moses was a humble man.  It he did not think less of himself, he thought of himself less.   He did not pout when God removed him from leadership, he asked God to appoint another leader.
2. Good leaders provide vision and direction.
Moses desired a leader that would lead, guide, and direct the people.
3.  Good leaders are full of and controlled by the Holy Spirit.
God picked Joshua because he had the spirit in him.
4. Leaders are to be commissioned publicly.
Moses commissioned Joshua in front of the people.  Leadership is public, people are the leaders business.
5. Good leaders have a succession plan.
Moses equipped Joshua to take his place.  Good leaders focus on developing the next generation of leaders.
Application
1. People first.
I am to first of all be a servant of those I lead.
2. Lead
Take the initiative, lead something, fulfill my current responsibilities.
3. Depend on the Holy Spirit
My skills and abilities will fall short because they are inadequate.  I need a fresh filling of the Holy Spirit daily.
4. Invest in younger leaders.
One day I will walk away. I need prepare the next generation to take my place.  
Don't wait too long to leave.  Know when is time, don't wait until someone ask me to step down, go out on my terms.
Prayer
Leadership is a gift of your spirit (Romans 12).  Develop whatever size of leadership gift you have placed in me.  May I be diligent in my leading, may I be pleasing to you.  May if be for your glory and the advancement of your kingdom.

No comments: