Sunday, May 10, 2015

Speak softly and do not carry a big stick

Scripture
Proverbs 15:3
A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare. (NLT)
A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. (ESV)
Observation
A soft gentle disposition earns favor.  My demeanor is key to people skills.  If I am soft and gentle by nature it will turn away anger.  But if my words are harsh it has the opposit affect.  People will oppose me.  It is difficult to oppose a gentle spirit who speaks soft words.
Harsh- ungentle and unpleasant in action or effect: harsh treatment; harsh manners.
grim or unpleasantly severe; stern; cruel; austere: a harsh life; a harsh master.
Application
1. Have a gentle spirit.  Gentleness is a fruit of the spirit and it means the ability to control my emotions.
2. Do not speak  severe, stern or cruel words to others.  Speak softly.
3. How I treat people will be how I am treated.
I can become short with people especially when I am tired or frustrated.  I cannot let that happen.
4. Learn to withdraw when need to.
5. Don't confront when frustrated.
It is best to confront quickly before things build up inside of me.
Prayer
 Teach me to be gentle in spirit and to speak softly. Do not aslow my emotions to get out of control. Give me rest and produce your character in me.  Enable me to excel in people skills.

No comments: