Wednesday, May 13, 2015

How to overcome a low self esteem

Scripture
1 Samuel 15: 17, 24-25, 30
And Samuel told him, “Although you may think little of yourself, are you not the leader of the tribes of Israel? The LORD has anointed you king of Israel.

Then Saul admitted to Samuel, “Yes, I have sinned. I have disobeyed your instructions and the LORD’s command, for I was afraid of the people and did what they demanded. But now, please forgive my sin and come back with me so that I may worship the LORD.”

Then Saul pleaded again, “I know I have sinned. But please, at least honor me before the elders of my people and before Israel by coming back with me so that I may worship the LORD your God.” (NLT)
Observation
The power of how we see ourselves.  When Samuel came to anoint Saul as king he hid in the baggage.  His low self esteem affecting him throughout his reign.  Here we see Samuel saying
1. Although you think little of yourself.
Then we see Saul being concerned about his image.
2. Honor me before the elders.

God made Saul a king, filled him with his spirit, anointed him for service and to prophecy but Saul never saw himself this way.  He spent his time as king hiding in the baggage and trying to make himself look good to others. Saul destroyed himself.  He is an example of self destruction.
Application
1. My identity comes from whose I am not my position, title, material wealth, or reputation.
I am a new creation, joint heir of Jesus, a child of God.  I see myself as God sees me.
2. I minister out of who God has made me not my skills and abilities.
God anoints his servants to fulfill His purpose for their lives.  I minister from the anointing not my talent.  This protects me from low self esteem because I depend upon God for productivity.  It also protects me from pride because Jesus gets all the glory.  I cannot take any credit.
3. My relationship with Jesus is everything and the only thing.
Who I am in Jesus is what I depend upon, I will fail and fall short.  Jesus is faithful and more than able.
Prayer
Father I receive my identity from you. I am significant because you adopted me, made me a member of your family. It is not based upon my image, achievements, or reputation.  It is based upon whose I am.  Thank you for choosing me, loving me, giving me your name.  I love you for it.

No comments: