Thursday, May 21, 2015

Giving Honor

Scripture 
2 Samuel 1: 19, 21-24
Your pride and joy, O Israel, lies dead on the hills! Oh, how the mighty heroes have fallen!

O mountains of Gilboa, let there be no dew or rain upon you, nor fruitful fields producing offerings of grain. For there the shield of the mighty heroes was defiled; the shield of Saul will no longer be anointed with oil. The bow of Jonathan was powerful, and the sword of Saul did its mighty work. They shed the blood of their enemies and pierced the bodies of mighty heroes. How beloved and gracious were Saul and Jonathan! They were together in life and in death. They were swifter than eagles, stronger than lions. O women of Israel, weep for Saul, for he dressed you in luxurious scarlet clothing, in garments decorated with gold. (NLT)
Observation
It is understandable that David mourned for Jonathon, he was his best friend.  They loved each otherm they were close.  Yet David also mourned for Saul.  Saul was David's enemy, he tried to kill David on several occassions.  David truly grieved the death of his enemy.
David honored his king.  He did not agree with every decision that Saul made or endorsed Saul's lack of character but David honored the king, the man who held the position.
Application
I need to honor those in authority over me. I may not agree with every decision they make or even like the person, but I can honor the position of authority and honor the person who holds the position.  I may not respect the person but I can honor them.
1. Keep my tongue.
Don't speak evil against leadership.
2. Try to influence for good.
3 humble myself
Truth is I make bad decisions and lack character.  I should not hold my leaders at a higher standard than I hold myself. 
Prayer
 I have been guilty of speaking evil of my leadership, not being supportive, and not honoring them completely.  I can say one thing to their face and another when they are not present.  I can get glee when the president fails regardless if it is best,  I just want him to fail.  This is wrong and it is evil.  I ask for forgiveness and cleansing. Change my heart.

No comments: