Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Prayer is multifaceted

Scripture
1 Samuel 1: 15-17, 23
“Oh no, sir!” she replied. “I haven’t been drinking wine or anything stronger. But I am very discouraged, and I was pouring out my heart to the LORD. Don’t think I am a wicked woman! For I have been praying out of great anguish and sorrow.” “In that case,” Eli said, “go in peace! May the God of Israel grant the request you have asked of him.”

“Whatever you think is best,” Elkanah agreed. “Stay here for now, and may the LORD help you keep your promise. ” So she stayed home and nursed the boy until he was weaned. (NLT)
Observation
1. She prayed the desire of her heart.
She was not praying from her head but her heart.  She was passionate, expressive, full of emotion.
2. God uses a wicked priest to bring blessing.
God can use anyone he chooses to bring blessing into my life. He controls the hearts of kings and determines which way their heart flows,
3. God granted her request.
She gave birth to a child, which was her dream and desire.
4. God gave her the strength to fulfill her vow.
Th husband. Had great wisdom here. He knew how painful dedicating Samuel to the lord and temple would be for her.  He prayed that God would give her the strength.  He did and she did.
We see two great examples of prayer
Application
1. Pray what is in my heart.
Pour out my heart to God.  Pray with passion, pray for what I long for, pray my dreams and desires.
2. Pray that I will fulfill my duty to the Lord.
Pray that I will be pleasing to God, fulfill my duty, be productive for his kingdom, live for His glory.
It is not either/or but both/and. I pour out my heart to God, pray for what I want, and pray for my duty, for what I know I should do.
Prayer
I ask for my desires. Fulfill my dreams. I ask you to enable me to fulfill my duty, to do what I am commanded to do.

No comments: