Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The goal of prayer is the glory of God

June 17, 2015
Scripture 
1 Kings 18:36-37
At the usual time for offering the evening sacrifice, Elijah the prophet walked up to the altar and prayed, “O LORD, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, prove today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant. Prove that I have done all this at your command. O LORD, answer me! Answer me so these people will know that you, O LORD, are God and that you have brought them back to yourself.” (NLT)
Observation
Elijah is used as an example of effective prayer.  Here we see:
1. Recognized God as who he is,
2. Understood the lordship of Christ
3. Desired the glory of God.
Elijah asked God to answer his prayer so that God would be honored, that God would receive the glory.
Application
"For His glory" is the right motive for prayer.  I seek the glory of God and the honor of His name.  I do not pray out of selfish motives but that Jesus would be praised, lifted up, acknowledged, believed in.  
1. When others see God answering my prayers, it increases their faith.  
2. The motive behind my prayers, is key to receiving answers to prayer.
It protects me from selfishness.  
Self-centeredness, selfish ambition, greed, etc. all hinder my prayers.
3.  The glory of God is the goal of every believer, every ministry, every prayer.
It is for His glory.
4. It gives me credibility 
When people see God answering my prayers, it proves or authenticates my ministry.
Elijah knew it would prove he was a true prophet of God.
Prayer
Answer my prayers for your glory, that people would praise your name and place their faith in you.
Answer my prayers to authenticate me as your ambassador.
Purify my motives in praying,  remove greed, pride, and selfishness. Let me learn to deny myself
May my life and prayers increase the faith of others.

No comments: