Friday, June 5, 2015

God is both/and

Scripture 
1 Kings 11:2, 33, 38
The LORD had clearly instructed the people of Israel, “You must not marry them, because they will turn your hearts to their gods.” Yet Solomon insisted on loving them anyway. ( NLT)

For Solomon has abandoned me and worshiped Ashtoreth, the goddess of the Sidonians; Chemosh, the god of Moab; and Molech, the god of the Ammonites. He has not followed my ways and done what is pleasing in my sight. He has not obeyed my decrees and regulations as David his father did. (NLT)

If you listen to what I tell you and follow my ways and do whatever I consider to be right, and if you obey my decrees and commands, as my servant David did, then I will always be with you. I will establish an enduring dynasty for you as I did for David, and I will give Israel to you. ( NLT)
Observation
Here we see examples of free will.  God warned Solomon not to marry these wives but he insisted.  He chose to by his own free will.  Then these wives caused Solomon to abandon God and worship false Gods.
Later God gave Jeroboam a conditional promise.  If you obey me, I will bless you.  If you disobey me I will judge you.  Jeroboam  had the ability to choose, to make a choice.  
These are examples of free will.  It is not the sovereignty of God or man's free will, it is both/and.  Both are true and at work at the same time.  God is completely sovereign, in control, supreme authority over the universe and man has a free will.  I think these are opposites that cannot work in conjunction with one another but with God they can.  He can be in complete control and give man free will at the same time.  I cannot comprehend that completely but I do not want to be able to.  I desire a God who is bigger than me, more complex than me, who is higher and greater than my thought processes.  He is not either/or God is both/and.
Application
1. Trust and rest in the sovereignty of God.
He is the supreme authority of the universe.  He is in complete control.  He is in charge, Lord of all, master of all.  
2 I am responsible 
I am responsible for my decisions, actions, attitudes, and motives.
Prayer
I look to you, love you.  I believe in and trust you 100 percent.  

No comments: