Monday, June 15, 2015

God takes the initiative

June 15, 2015
Scripture 
Acts 10: 3-5, 9-11, 19, 23
One afternoon about three o’clock, he had a vision in which he saw an angel of God coming toward him. “Cornelius!” the angel said. Cornelius stared at him in terror. “What is it, sir?” he asked the angel. And the angel replied, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have been received by God as an offering! Now send some men to Joppa, and summon a man named Simon Peter.

The next day as Cornelius’s messengers were nearing the town, Peter went up on the flat roof to pray. It was about noon, and he was hungry. But while a meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw the sky open, and something like a large sheet was let down by its four corners.

Meanwhile, as Peter was puzzling over the vision, the Holy Spirit said to him, “Three men have come looking for you.

So Peter invited the men to stay for the night. The next day he went with them, accompanied by some of the brothers from Joppa. (NLT)
Observation 
Again, see how the Holy Spirit is orchestrating everything.   
1. God speaks to Cornelius through a vision
2. Cornelius knew it was God speaking and knew exactly what he was suppose to do.
3. God noticed Cornelius because of his giving and his praying
4. God spoke to Peter through a vision while he was praying.  
5. Both Peter and Corneliius chose to obey God.
Application
1. The gospel going to the Gentiles was the initiative of God: what, when, who, and how we're all God's decision.  God chose what Gentile would hear the gospel.  God chose who would take the gospel to them.  God chose when this would happen and how.  God was at work.
2. The people involved responded to God.
They both had visions, knew God was speaking to them, and know exactly what they were supposes to do.
After the visoins both men had to chose to obey God or disobey.  It was crisis of faith that took faith and courage.
Faith- believe it was God speaking to them and that God would do what he said he would do.
Courage- to overcome their fears, anxieties, doubts, and questions.
3. Regular and consistent times of prayer were keys to these men hearing from God.
I have to have ears to hear, be in his presence, make myself available.
Prayer does not earn me anything, it positions me.
4. Obedience is the key to experiencing God working through my life.
Peter did not dream a dream for God, he obeyed God.  Peter was mightily used by God for his glory and purposes because he obeyed.  God did everything else.  He dreamed it, planned it, took the initiative, everything.  
Peter prayed and obeyed.  That is what he did.
Prayer
May I be a man of prayer.  Impart in me the faith and courage to obey you.  I cannot earn your favor or purchase an anointing but I do want to position myself that if you chose to use me, I can hear from you.  Enable me to join you in your work.  May I bring you glory and honor. May I expand your kingdom.  I love you.

No comments: