Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Worship that is from the heart

Mark 7: 6-7, 15, 20-23
He answered, “Well has Isaiah prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written: ‘These people honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me. In vain do they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’

There is nothing from outside a man that by entering him can defile him. But the things which come out of the man are what defile him.

And He said, “What comes out of a man is what defiles a man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adultery, fornication, murder, theft, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, licentiousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride and foolishness. All these evil things come from within and defile a man.”
Observation
1. Worship can become a ritual and not from the heart.
I can sing songs and go through the motions but it is from my head not from my heart.  
2. I can look spiritual but be carnal.
3. The heart is the seat of my actions.
Sin flows out of my heart.  Before I say it , is in me.  Before I do it, it is in me.  My actions flow out of my heart.
4. In order to change my actions, I have to change my heart.
I am transformed by the renewing of my mind.  When my thoughts are new, it flows into my heart.  
A. Renew my mind
B. Transform my heart
Application
1. Focus on renewing my mind.
Fill my mind with the things of God.  
2. Allow the word of God and the spirit of God to transform my heart.
I can choose to renew my mind but only God can transform my heart.  It is a work of his spirit.
3. Be genuine in my worship
Guard against my times with God from becoming ritualistic.  
Prayer
Father I apologize for the times when my time with you is ritualistic, where I sing song with my mouth but my heart is far from you. I ask you to transform my heart, may it be pure, holy, and pleasing to you.

No comments: