Thursday, December 11, 2014

The majesty of forgiveness

Scripture

LORD, if you kept a record of our sins, who, O Lord, could ever survive? But you offer forgiveness, that we might learn to fear you. I am counting on the LORD; yes, I am counting on him. I have put my hope in his word. (Psalms 130:3-5 NLT)

If you, O Lord, should keep track of iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand? For there is forgiveness with You, that You may be feared. I wait for the Lord, with bated breath I wait; I long for His Word! (Psalms 130:3-5 MEV)

Observation

1. If God kept a record of my sins, I could never stand.

My heart is deceitful above all else.  I overestimate my goodness and underestimate my tendency to sin.

2. God offers forgiveness and forgetfulness.

He forgives me of all sin and throws then into the sea of forgetfulness.  He remembers them no more.  

3. God's willingness to forgive me should produce fear in me.  

God's mercy is a scary thing, only God treats men in such a way.  He is above all.

4. I wait for God as a child on Christmas Eve not as a patient in a dentist office.

I am anxious for His appearing.

5. I long for His presence and word.

Application

1. Never take God's forgiveness for granted.

2. It should produce fear, wonder, and gratitude in me.

3. Long for his presence above all else.

4. Feed upon His word daily.

Prayer

I ask for your forgiveness.  I am in need of your presence.  Come to me today. 

No comments: