Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Do not make God into your own image

Scripture

The LORD is slow to get angry, but his power is great, and he never lets the guilty go unpunished. He displays his power in the whirlwind and the storm. The billowing clouds are the dust beneath his feet. (Nahum 1:3 NLT)

the Lord is slow to anger and great in power, and the Lord will in no way acquit the guilty. In gale winds and a storm is His way, and clouds are the dust of His feet. (Nahum 1:3 MEV)

Observation

1. God is slow to get angry.

God is merciful.  It is his very nature to forgive.

2.  He must punish the guilty.

God's is merciful but he is also just.  God is fully both at the same time.  My mind cannot understand that, I think mercy and justice contradict each other, that you are either one or the other.  But God is above my ways and above my thinking.  He is merciful and just.  He is slow to anger but will not allow the guilty to go unpunished.

3. God is all powerful.

He controls nature and is a force.

Application

1. Do not take God's mercy for granted.  

He is a merciful God but he also upholds justice.

2. Leave my enemies and the evil people of this world into his hands.

God will choose how to deal with evil.  Trust him with my enemies.  Trust him with the injustices of the world.  

3. Don't put God in a box.

Do not make God into who I want him to be but accept him as He is.

He is a multifaceted God who is  above my comprehension.

Prayer

Forgive me for taking your mercy for granted.  May I mourn over and repent of my sins.

May. I not take vengeance on others.  I place the evil of this world into your hands.  I trust you to do the right thing.

No comments: