Saturday, December 13, 2014

How to approach God

Scripture

When God saw what they had done and how they had put a stop to their evil ways, he changed his mind and did not carry out the destruction he had threatened. (Jonah 3:10 NLT)

When God saw their actions, that they turned from their evil ways, He changed His mind about the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it. (Jonah 3:10 MEV)

He prayed to the Lord and said, “O Lord! Is this not what I said while I was still in my own land? This is the reason that I fled before to Tarshish, because I knew that You are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger, abundant in faithfulness, and ready to relent from punishment. (Jonah 4:2 MEV)

So he complained to the LORD about it: “Didn’t I say before I left home that you would do this, LORD? That is why I ran away to Tarshish! I knew that you are a merciful and compassionate God, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. You are eager to turn back from destroying people. (Jonah 4:2 NLT)

Observation

1. Repentance moves God.

When God saw the sincerity of the people, he changed his mind.

My actions can effect God's actions.

That is an amazing statement!

2. God's character

A. God is gracious.

B. God is merciful

C. God is slow to anger

D. God is filled with unfailing love

E. Eager to turn back from destroying people.

Application

1. True repentance moves the heart of God.

Nineveh heard and believed God's message.  They mourned over their sins.  They changed the way they lived.  

2. God does not want to bring judgment, God is a God of grace.

Judgment is a last resort for God.  It is in his heart to bless His children.  

3. I don't approach God based upon my character but His.

I can boldly approach the throne of grace because it is a throne of grace.  There I receive blessings I do not deserve.

Prayer

Father, today I ask for mercy and grace.  Do not treat me as I deserve but based upon your character.


No comments: