Wednesday, August 5, 2015

You are free

August 5, 2015
Scripture 
1 Corinthians 1:30
God has united you with Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made him to be wisdom itself. Christ made us right with God; he made us pure and holy, and he freed us from sin.  (NLV)
But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— (NKJV)
Observation
1. I am in Christ
United with him in his death and in his resurrection 
2. Jesus is wisdom from God.
Jesus is the evidence, proof, wisdom, knowledge about life, how to live life, everything.
3. Jesus made me right with God
4. Jesus made me pure and holy
5. Jesus set me free from sin
This is a powerful verse that represents a powerful truth.  Jesus made my salvation possible.  He set me free from the penalty of sin.  I am no longer on my way to hell but am on my way to heaven.  That would be enough but it is not all.  He also set me free from the power of sin, made me pure and holy.  How can I live this God-pleasing life? By being in Christ, being united with the him in his death on a cross and in his resurrection from the dead.  Water baptism is a great illustration of this:  when I was submerged into the water it symbolized my death, when I came out of the water, it symbolized my resurrection.  My old man, nature has died, I am a new creation, a new man.  
Application
1. Count myself as dead to sin and alive in Christ.
It begins with my thinking, my beliefs.  I have to believe I am dead to sin and alive in Christ.  My behavior will never surpass my beliefs because belief systems determine behaviors.  I am transformed by the renewing of my mind.  
2. Abide in Christ.
Time in his presence will transform and empower me.  The Holy Spirit empowers me to be: to progressively become the man God has called me to be.
3. Spend time in the Word.
The Bible is my guidebook in life, it gives me the principles to live by but it is also a living book that gives life.  I receive life, strength by allowing the Bible transform me.
4. Spend time with other believers
The fellowship and accountability with other believers strengthens me.  I receive life, strength, when I spend time with like minded, same hearted people.
Prayer
I am right with God, pure, holy, free from sin.

No comments: