Saturday, September 7, 2013

Self control

One of the characteristics of the fruit of the Spirit is self-control.  The King James version describes it as temperance.  It is the ability to control your appetites and passions.  Gentleness or meekness is the ability to control your emotions.  These terms of control means the Holy Spirit is in control of you empowering you to control your passions and emotions.  A Spirit-filled believer should be temperate, self-controlled, not harsh or out of control but in control of his passions and emotions.

Some of the ways I am seeking God to fulfill this in my life is in setting goals in the key areas of my life.  They are spiritual, relational, mental, physical, financial, and ministry.  I believe the key to life is a balance in these areas.  If you are not in "full-time" ministry then also add career to the list.  I have set goals in these six key areas of my life.  I am asking the Holy Spirit to enable me to meet these goals.  This is not self help or relying on my will power.  I am inadequate and weak.  I need the empowerment of the Holy Spirit to enable me.  I need the fruit of gentleness and self-control to be evident in me.  The fruit comes from abiding.  I abide in Him and He abides in me I will bear much fruit but apart from him I can do nothing.  I believe in the next two months to make strides in these areas.  I desire for the glory of God and to become the man of God He desires for me to be.

No comments: