Friday, September 20, 2013

Parenting

Parenting is a stewardship
I had the unique experience of raising another man's children.  It has been the greatest honor of my life.  I think it gave me an unique perspective on parenting.  Parenting is a stewardship.  This means:
1. Your children belong to God.
I always understood that another man gave life to my kids. He was a good man who loved his family and God.  He was their father but I had the privilege of raising them.  We use phrases like "my children" or "our children".  But the truth is that they are God's children.  
Your children belong to God and it is your privilege to raise them.

2. You are to parent your children in an God-pleasing, God-honoring way.
My desire was that when I met the children's biological father in heaven that he would be pleased with the way I raised his kids.  That should be your goal as well.  One day when you face God, may He be pleased with the way you parented the children, He gave you.

3. You will give an account.
 I will meet their biological father one day and the truth is you will face God one day.  You will give an account.  There will be a day when God will hold you accountable for every word you say and everything you do with your kids.  That is a sobering thought.  It is not meant to frighten you but to motivate you.  

The good news is God is a God of grace and He will enable you to be the father He desires you to be.  He is not up in heaven counting demerits againts you.  He is for you not against you.  I have not been close to a perfect parent but fortunately I did not mess them up too much.  I believe the same for you.

No comments: