Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Set "Be" Goals

Most of our goals are geared for doing, accomplishing a desired task like “ I want to get my masters degree in leadership by May of 2020.” These are great and desirable goals that will enable you to accomplish great things. But do not forget about “be” goals. There are a little more vague and can be harder to set but in the long run they can help you reach your goals not by helping you accomplish a task but by becoming a great person. It one thing to accomplish great things it is another to be a great woman/man.

An example of this to set a goal of being a great parent, for me it would be “to be a great dad while I am serving overseas.” This is a great goal that is more important to me than completing my to do list. The challenge with “be” goals is how do I measure progress? This is where habit goals are vital. It is hard to define what a great dad is and how to measure progress but there are things I can do. One of my goals to being a great dad is to communicate regularly with my children while I am on the field. I can text daily and Skype weekly. I can look for articles, books, and other resources to send them on a monthly basis. We can plan to have a vacation together each summer. These are things I can measure that will assist me in determining if I am making progress in becoming a great dad.

 You can do this with anything that is important to you. If I want to “be” a man/woman of God. You can measure things like studying the fruits of the spirit, develop a plan to implement them into my life and then asking for feedback from those close to you if you are growing in the fruit. To be honest there are lots of things you can do to measure the “be” goal of becoming a woman/man of God.

You can set all kinds of “be” goals like being a better witness, being a great roommate, being an encourager to those around me. The question is what kind of person do you want to be?

So challenge of the week.

1. Set some “be” goals this week

2. Determine how you will measure progress

3. Seek feedback from those closest to you

One of my definitions of success is to progressively become the person God called me to be. My vision for you is that you determine the kind of person God wants you to “be” then set some goals, develop a plan, and become! Success is more about the journey than the destination.


No comments: